Pages

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Tomato focaccia (2)

OK, I'm giving this another go, trying to use the lessons of last time to use more oil and yeast. I'm also using semolina, as suggested by Jamie Oliver in a programme recently.

Biga
200g VSWF
liquid: 200g water; tiny amount of sugar, scant level tsp yeast

I mixed this up at 1200, leaving it in a fairly cool kitchen.

1745 the biga was huge! I knocked it back and added:
50g vswf
50g semolina
15g olive oil
2g salt
2 sundried tomatoes, chopped

It made quite a wet dough, which I kind of slapped around, rather than kneaded. I've then put it into a baking tray. Should be ready to go in an hour or so.

Baking
More olive oil on top, plus oregano and seasalt.
Into the oven (7) at 1955 for 15 minutes, then removed from tray and finished on the rack for 5 minutes at 5.
Here it is:

And I have to say, it's the real thing! It's wonderful, and I'm not sure I'll be able to avoid eating it all tonight. The oil, although there's not that much, gives the bread a kind of pastry texture, or maybe it's the semolina. Anyway, it's an absolute winner, and this is therefore my definitive focaccia recipe.

No comments: