Pages

Friday, February 19, 2010

This can't be right

So far, I've done all my mixing and kneading by hand. I don't have a stand mixer with a dough hook, just a food processor. But the book that came with that, says it can do bread. Use the metal chopping blade, it says, and process for one minute. But won't that cut the gluten threads? Only one way to find out.

So I've used 400g mix of 50/50 very strong wholemeal and vswf, 300g water, 1 tsp yeast, and 1 tsp sugar. In the processor bowl I first mixed together the flour and a pinch of sea salt, then poured in some rape seed oil. Then added the liquid while processing at a low speed, and it run for a minute. The dough eventually started climbing up the walls of the bowl, but (for a half-wholemeal dough) seemed light and elastic enough.

Basic procedure from then on: about two hours proving, knock back, and formed a plait, which proved for a bit less than a hour. Into a 7 oven on a stone and it's fine.

It was certainly a lot easier than hand-kneading and the result doesn't seem signficantly worse. I may try this again with white flour, but will definitely use it again for heavy doughs like half or more wholemeal.

No comments: