Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

Seedier still

There are probably people who object to the term "beef up" as carnivorist. Nevertheless, beefing up is what I've tried to do to the seedy bread recipe in my last entry, especially now I've got some linseeds. The experience has only convinced me that Lepard's original recipe is impossible.

Flour
250g strong white flour
100g wholemeal rye flour
50g strong wholemeal wheat flour
4g salt
about 20g sunflower oil

Seeds
50g sunflower seeds
50g pumpkin seeds
20g poppy seeds
50g linseeds

Liquid
250g water
pinch sugar
4g dried yeast
10g red malt flour

I started this on 26 July at 11:30, dry toasting the seeds and adding them to the flour, then, when it had cooled a bit, adding the liquid. Unsurprisingly, it was a stiff horrible mix, but I thought adding more water would make it worse. So after about ten minutes kneading I put in in the fridge for a long rest

On 27 July it was still pretty sluggish, so after it was back at room temperature, I kneaded it again, and left it overnight at room temperature (probably around 16C).

Yesterday it had risen, so I kneaded it again. I added a little water as the surface had inevitable dried out a bit. It still was difficult, but formed into a plausible bloomer shape. It then took about four hours to prove and finally at about 16:00 it was ready for the oven: 15 minutes at 200, then 30 at 180. And here's the partially eaten result.
It's no doubt very healthy, but it's pretty joyless. It's like the classic Cranks offering: virtuous but dull. I think I could have added more poppy seeds: it would improve the flavour. I've a feeling I don't like linseeds; a problem because I now have quite a lot of them. And for anyone with false teeth this would be a nightmare.

No comments: