Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

Bumpkin

I finally found the German Baker's van in Forest Hill last week. It doesn't help that the details are wrong on the website. The stopping point is actually, unsurprisingly, beside the Dietrich Bonhoeffer church, and most of the customers were German. Most of the bread seemed a bit rye-heavy, again unsurprisingly. I bought a loaf which I'd guess was around 30% rye. It was nice enough but not endearing. What was endearing was a loaf described as "containing bumpkin seeds", which has inspired me, and I'm pretty happy with the result.

400g strong white flour
50g wholemeal rye flour
10g red malt flour
50g pumpkin seeds
4g salt
3g diax

Using 300g water, 6g of dried yeast and a tiny amount of sugar.

Now I'm not sure how much is due to the diax and how much to the sugar, but this dough rose really quickly. I'm also not sure how much diax I should be using. The packaging says around 1%, while online I've seen 0.1% quoted. I suspect I'm still using too much, which results in a doughy central crumb. Too much starch-to-sugar conversion weakening the structure?

On the other hand, I think the crust on loaves I've produced with diax is better. This recipe is nearly there. The taste is lovely.

1 comment:

Andrew H said...

Watch it with pumpkin seeds, my wife used to add them to bread, and very tasty too. But after a while it dawned on me this was one of the reasons for the increase in the amount of wind/flatulence I had. So she stopped, and the personal gaseous productiion dropped as well