Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Banana cake

No photos of this. It was tasty but heavy, simply because I almost certainly didn't use enough baking powder, which is probably defunct anyway - it's been in the cupboard since time immemorial. But it's a start:

200g apf
100g butter
80g caster sugar

2 eggs
2 bananas, mashed up a bit
not enough baking powder
pinch of allspice

And I did it in the food processor, which probably doesn't help much either.

I creamed the butter & sugar, then added the other ingredients, and processed briefly.
Oven 4 for 40 mins then 2 for 25 mins.

Here's what I've later seen as guidance:

The general rule of thumb for amount of baking powder in recipes: 1 to 2 teaspoons (5-10 grams) of baking powder leavens 1 cup (140 grams) of flour. The amount will depend on the ingredients and how they are mixed. 
Which would suggest 3 tsp for this amount. I was nowhere near that.

No comments: